This matcha loaf cake recipe is flavoured with matcha green tea powder and made with ground almond for a light, fluffy pound cake that's naturally green in colour.
This recipe was adapted from the July 2011 issue of Olive magazine. I used all-purpose instead of self-raising flour, so I compensated by adding baking powder and salt to the dry ingredients. I also added a full teaspoon of vanilla extract and specifically used ground almonds (original recipe did not specify). I really enjoyed the sweet matcha tea flavor of these loaves, and would definitely make them again. I literally threw them together at the end of the day and loved the result!
Matcha tea loaf cakes
These matcha cakes are mini loaf cakes made with ground almond and flavored with matcha tea for a subtle tea flavor and light green color.
mini loaf pan
- 155 grams (1¼ cup) all-purpose flour
- 85 grams (¾ cup) ground almonds
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) matcha green tea powder
- 7.5 mL (1 ½ teaspoon) baking powder
- 2.5 mL (½ teaspoon) Diamond Crystal fine kosher salt
- 175 grams (¾ cup) unsalted butter room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) pure vanilla extract
- 60 mL (¼ cup) whole milk (3.25 % fat)
- Preheat the oven the 325°F. Grease 8 mini loaf pans (I used this pan from Amazon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ground almonds, matcha, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and the sugars for a few minutes, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed with a spatula. Add the vanilla and beat the mixture again.
- Add the whisked dry ingredients alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Give the mixture a couple more stirs with the spatula to make sure everything is evenly incorporated, then divide the batter among the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake the cakes for about 20 or so minutes, and take them out of the oven when a cake tester inserted in the center of one of them comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack in the pan for 10 minutes before unmolding to cool completely.
Please note this cake can also be baked in a large 1 pound loaf pan (a standard 9x5-inch) but it will take at least 45–60 minutes.