I made these toasted maple sesame nuts in preparation for a trip. Always pack snacks! Adapted from California Walnuts website (no longer available) and La Tartine Gourmande.
Toasted maple sesame nuts
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¾ teaspoon grey salt
- 3 cups mixed nuts (raw) I used 217 grams almonds and 180 grams pecans
- 3 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoon millet seeds
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet by lining it with parchment and set aside for later.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg white til it is frothy, then add the maple syrup, cayenne, pepper, and salt.
- Toss in the nuts and seeds, and stir with a wooden spoon til everything is evenly mixed and coated (this takes a few minutes to really get everything evenly coated).
- Pour the syrupy nut mixture onto the prepared pan and toast them for 25 to 30 minutes (stirring if needed every 10 minutes or so).
- Let cool completely before packing into jars.