It's important to have a recipe for something that makes an easy, homemade holiday gift that friends and family will enjoy. My gingerbread granola recipe is it. I've served it at brunches with friends during the holidays, and I've gifted mason jars of the homemade gingerbread granola to my gym instructors (who spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to help me balance out all that butter and sugar I love so much).
The key to good granola is finding the right balance of sugar, fat, and spices. If you want your granola to taste like gingerbread, you need to bake it with all the key ingredients that make gingerbread taste like gingerbread. So, for this recipe, I sweetened the mix of oats and nuts with a mixture of fancy molasses and maple syrup, and spiced it with ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, which are the spices you'd find in a classic recipe for gingerbread people.
This gingerbread granola recipe isn't overly sweet and it has a good level of gingerbread spices. Feel free to tweak it to make it your own. If you aren't a fan of molasses, try my maple-flavoured recipe for granola clusters!
- 460 grams rolled oats (or large flake oats) 3 cups
- 140 grams almonds 1 cup
- 120 grams walnuts 1 cup
- 100 grams pecans 1 cup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Diamond Crystal fine kosher salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup Fancy molasses
- 60 grams dried cranberries ½ cup
- 40 grams chopped crystallized ginger ¼ cup
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts, spices and salt. Set aside.
- Meanwhile melt the coconut oil with the maple syrup and molasses in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir well then pour over the oat mixture. Stir to coat all the ingredients with the syrup.
- Transfer the mixture to two large baking sheets (18x13 in) lined with parchment paper. Spread into an even layer from edge to edge.
- Bake the mixture for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring it every 10 minutes and moving the pans around in the oven.
- Let cool before adding the dried cranberries and candied ginger. Store in a jar.
- Calories calculated based on ¼ cup serving.
- Recipe makes 28 x ¼ cup servings.